This family focused Day Trip is designed to give your family a safe adventure in the protected island waters and channels of Georgian Bay. To do that, we’ll gather first at our Paddling Centre on Cole Lake for introductions and an orientation to the kayaks. We’ll fit everyone into a suitable kayak, and in some cases we’ll put the younger ones with an adult in a tandem (double). We’ll cover basic strokes and safety, including asking everyone to do a wet exit – which is really quite fun and simple to do. Once we get dried off, snacked, and loaded up – we’ll drive to our launch site & head out to the islands for the rest of the day. Bring your own picnic lunch for your family, and we’ll make sure there’s time for swimming in the crystal clear waters of Georgian Bay. We want the children to have a good time, so the emphasis will be on paddling at their pace. Contact the Paddling Centre for more information.
When9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Price$165/adult, $85/child (16 & under)
Minimum NumberFamily of 3
Skills You Need
- No paddling experience necessary.
- You’ll need to be comfortable in the water and able to swim 50 metres wearing a lifejacket.
- If you wish to paddle a single kayak you’ll need Basic Kayak Skills or equivalent, including wet exits with a skirt. Please get in touch if unsure.
- Fully equipped kayaks.
- Yummy snacks.
- Qualified guides & all safety gear.
- Picnic lunch with water bottle.
- Sun gear: long-sleeved shirt, sunscreen, sunglasses with tether & brimmed hat.
- Rain/wind gear: rain coat, windbreaker or paddling jacket.
- Swim gear: swimsuit & towel.
- Spare gear: sweater, long pants, t-shirt, shorts.
- Footwear that can get wet, closed toed is ideal (we insist on footwear at all times).
If it’s cold or wet, then you need materials that retain heat when wet and wick moisture from the skin like wool, fleece or polypropylene. Paddling jackets are ideal, but a windproof/waterproof shell will work fine. For hot midday paddling, a light, long-sleeved shirt is great to keep the sun off. Have a warm sweater and pants for cooler weather. Specialized paddling clothes/gear add to your comfort, but aren’t necessary unless you intend to get serious. Our shops are full of top gear and clothing that we use ourselves.